Sedimentation in Water Treatment
List and explain the four different types of sedimentation.
Draw a profile view of a sedimentation basin and label the four key zones and
label the relationship between the horizontal flow-through velocity and the
settling velocity (see Figure 10.7 in text).
Calculate the overflow rate, hydraulic detention time, horizontal
velocity, and weir loading and evaluate the appropriateness of design based on the
design criteria outlined in the text.
See Notes on "Quantity of Wastewater" Review
Review Questions (these are samples that may be valuable for review)
1. What are the types of sedimentation? Briefly describe each
2. If the overflow rate is lowered, what effect will that have on settling and why?
3. If the weir loading is lowered, what effect will that have on settling and why?
4. How would the weir length be computed for a circular clarifier with the weir attached to the wall?
5. What is the purpose of the notches on effluent weirs?
Equations, tables, and figures that will be provided for applicable problems: